The Senior Manager of Talent Acquisition is a member of the People Team responsible for implementing talent acquisition strategies. This would include planning, managing, and executing an effective recruitment and selection process that will source diverse and talented applicants in an efficient and timely manner. This individual will manage a team and need to partner with key stakeholders across the agency, including business unit executives; Labor, Legal and Diversity; as well as the broader People team. This position is also responsible for identifying best practices and standardizing these practices across all agencies.
- Design, plan and execute an effective recruitment and selection process. Manage a team responsible for talent acquisition activities for client departments across the various agencies. Such activities include posting vacancies, screening applicants, qualifying resumes, candidate outreach, participating on interview panels, onboarding new hires, and processing packages for internal promotions. Ability to manage all aspects of assigned recruitment efforts for executive, administrative, managerial, operating, professional, skilled trade, hourly, and supervisory titles. Coordinate with employment testing on an as needed basis. Manage reference checks and the background verification process for new hires. Ensure a positive candidate experience.
- Work with Agency People partners, business units, and other groups within Talent Acquisition to plan, develop and implement talent acquisition strategies to ensure hiring goals and objectives are met, and positions are filled with the best possible talent. Provide innovative ideas for filling complex and hard to fill titles. Implement and adhere to industry best practices.
- Support the efficient and timely sourcing of diverse and talented candidates. Partner with client departments and Workforce Forecasting & Planning to determine staffing needs and develop hiring plans. Ensure the delivery of diverse applicants to hiring departments. Work with the MTA’s recruitment advertising agency and various other recruitment companies to develop media plans for hard to fill positions. Build talent pipelines and assist with employment branding.
- Analyze trends and make recommendations that will establish and maintain effective recruitment metrics, processes, systems and tools. Identify and address gaps between the current workforce and future needs. Use metrics to create reports and identify areas of improvement. Make recommendations and implement approved changes to the onboarding process and applicant experience. Ensure fair, ethical and equitable adherence to recruitment processes and practices.
- Develop and motivate personnel within the unit, creating brand ambassadors. Provide career development for subordinates. Manage the development of Talent Acquisition staff to ensure knowledge of multiple HR disciplines and federal, state and local employment laws. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Fosters a positive employee relations climate that ensures MTA principles, policies and programs are consistently practiced.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of creating and delivering effective and efficient processes that help identify candidates in a timely manner.
- Must have knowledge of sourcing and recruitment of a diverse and skilled workforce in both a unionized and a non-unionized environment.
- Strong knowledge of full cycle recruiting, sourcing, and employer branding.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategies to source and recruit top talent based on defined job criteria and competencies.
- Demonstrated ability to execute effective staffing strategies and processes to ensure the ongoing development of a best-in-class workforce
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of labor agreements and employment laws including Equal Employment Opportunity laws.
- Knowledge of MTA Compensation policies.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies. External agencies may include the Governor’s Office for New York State, New York City government, elected and other public officials, as well as any staff located at other federal or state agencies or authorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high profile, high pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to change priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Understanding of the organizational culture.
- Ability to handle confidential matters and information.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 6 years of progressive experience in Talent Acquisition or related area, including at least 3 years of supervisory and/or managerial role in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Attainment of or in the process of attaining SPHR or SHRM certification in HR management.
- Prior experience working in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified employees can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs On Line" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.